Sunday, September 1, 2013

Eclectic Ellapu Challenge #45, Altered Eclectics #3

Hello Crafters!

Here we are again with another lovely challenge from Eclectic Ellapu. The Purples are providing inspiration for you and Andria has chosen the theme "Sentiment". Now that means that the sentiment on your project must be the main focus. I think I can do that. Well, it turns out that the Altered Eclectics also have a new challenge starting today. So, I sort of combined them but I do have two projects.

Of the two projects I did, I chose to do the card for EE. I needed to make a few Fall cards for the shop to fill in my seasonal display anyway and added a little extra "stuff" to make it a worthwhile post. So, here it is:
I so wanted to ad "YA'LL" to the bottom right of the card but it just didn't fit with all the "pretty" stuff I had going on. The card is pretty self explanatory so I won't go into a lot of detail. However, I did add each of those little green bling dots individually which explains why they are a little crooked. lol. The flowers are from a pick which I took apart and removed the centers to add the brads. The center were quite large and would never have mailed well.

My second project was for Altered Eclectics. There is a lot more info and a few more pictures on this one. Here's picture number one.
The project started with a pumpkin pick I got on sale at Hobby Lobby. It's about 5" across which is a bit large as far as floral pics go. It had a shiny surface that I didn't like so I put clear Gesso on it to get started. After that was dry I added torn tan tissue paper (say that 3 times!) with Mod Podge glue. When it was dry, I used some brown ink to distress it a bit and add depth between the bumps and highlight the texture. Then I used my Millennium pen to trace the words onto the tissue paper and used the Mod Podge again to adhere to the pumpkin. I used 3 different sentiments in all.
"Learn to pause...or nothing worthwhile will catch up to you."
So, do you see why I had trouble choosing which blog got what project this time? They both work for both blogs. Interestingly enough, they both post new challenges today. So, you have twice the viewing pleasure today (I hope it's your pleasure anyway).

Lastly I made the topper for the pumpkin. After I cut out the center of a doily I added 3 different colors of glimmer mist to it (mostly purple). I had to heat set it as I am an impatient crafter (didn't know that about me did you?).  I gathered it up as you would to make a cloth yoyo. I actually used button thread to do that. I readied my flowers by removing from the pic (centers stayed attached this time) and arranged with a leaf from another pick and added the ribbons. I did ink the flowers up a tiny bit to soften the colors a little. Here's a close up:
You may have noticed a little texture going on.
To do this I added black refill ink to a little stencil paste.  I found an old piece of plastic I had saved with diamond shapes in it and used it as a stencil. Due to the curved surface of the pumpkin, this was by far the hardest thing to do on this project. I also used a checkerboard stencil in another area. All in all I'm ok with it even if it isn't perfect. After all it is altered art, right? You may also have noticed a bit of texture on the "enjoy the journey" pic above. I used drywall tape and brown ink to create that stenciled look. I guess nothing is safe in my craft room. I will use anything that I can get my hands on to create my projects.

I enjoyed making these projects and hope to make more in the days to come. In the meantime, please visit Electic Ellapu and Altered Eclectics blogs and check out the awesome inspiration from the rest of the Design Teams. Lots of eye candy there! We would love to see you join our challenges as well.

Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous make love how it has turned out.

    Moira

    ReplyDelete