Friday, August 3, 2012

August Card Club

As promised here is my card from club this month.  The first pic is of my inspiration (make & take from Rubber Stamp Events).  A friend of mine did send me one similar several months ago too.  I love how the cut out just pops right up there.
The next two pictures are my take on the pop up at the top.  I just thought it would be fun to try a different shape popped up there. So, I tried it with a different die cut to see if it would work, and it did.  It was a tinsy bit more difficult matching up everything to be straight, square and all that jazz.  Ultimately, an easy card.  My advice for you, should you decide to take on this mission, would be to lightly mark with a pencil your center lines going both ways.  So much easier to get it straight.  I also marked with a permanent pen the centers on my die cut.

To make this card, I made a regular 1/4 sheet card with a top fold. I glued my designer paper down (just a bit to hold in place temporarily).  Take your die cut and center it on the fold and horizontally.  My die cut & matching stamp are from Stampin' Up!.   Hold the die in place with a sticky note and run through your die cut machine only half way.  Halfway for me was about 5 turns of the handle on my Big Shot. Stamp the sentiment on a scrap piece of card stock, place on cutting plate and lay the die cut over the top of your stamp to match up.  Again, use a sticky note to hold this in place.  This time you will be going all the way through.  This cut out shape will then be matched up and glued down to the pop up you made earlier.  I took my bone folder and smoothed out the fold line on the back of the pop up so it wouldn't be as noticeable also.  Remove the designer paper and put your card on your trimmer and cut off enough of the width of the card to make it 4-1/4 wide with the pop up so it will fit in a regular 1/4 sheet envelope.  Line up your designer paper now and trim of as desired.  You may need to trim a bit off the top of your designer paper as well. Notice that the paper exactly matches the cut out in the second picture.  This is as it should be.  When the card is closed you get a little white outline because of the inside showing through (see my first pic).  After that, just embellish however you like.  I used grosgrain ribbon and bling I found at Hobby Lobby.  That's it.  I love the simplicity of this card; perfect for the guys in your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment