Monday, April 15, 2013

Artistic Inspirations Challenge #37 - Anything But A Card

Hello Crafters!
We have a fun theme this week at Artistic Inspirations. We want you to make ANYTHING BUT A CARD to show off your wonderful talents. I chose something a little on the easy side as Abbie & I are still working on getting everything ready for the new challenge blog we will be hosting.
Our sponsor this week is:
 
 They are offering 5 digis from their shop for the winner and their shop is full of great designs for any occasion. I have chosen Heloise the Garden Girl for my first image this week.
This project is a quick and easy little gift bag great for May Day, Mother's Day or anytime. I will have a second post today showing another one.
To make this gift bag you will need to start with a small paper bag that is about 3-1/4" wide and 4 - 6" tall. I used a white bag for this project, although you can't see it from this view. By trimming your bag down to 4" tall the fold won't interfere with the holes punched for your handles. Using score tape, tape bottom, front and back with several strips of tape. Don't peel the paper from the tape yet, set the bag aside.

Cut a piece of card stock (SU in my case) 3-3/8" wide (or 1/8" wider than your bag width) by 12" long. This card stock will be wrapped around your bag but first we need to score it to get the sharp folds. So, measure the depth of the bag bottom and divide that number in two. My bag was 3-1/2" deep at the bottom so my number was 1-3/4". Subtract that number from 12 (my number was 10-1/4").  Next score into the middle of your card stock from each side at that mark. So, I scored 10-1/4" inches in from both ends of my card stock to get the bottom of my bag to fit perfectly in the center of the card stock.

Now you will want to decorate your card stock (or what will be the new front of your gift bag). I just layered some designer paper flags under my matted image (image was colored with Spectrum Noir markers) which was popped up. I added a couple of Prima flowers and some bling pearls as well as a decorative piece of ribbon (SU). Before adding the handles, glue your bag onto the card stock starting with the bottom first. Don't press down very hard as you may have to reposition it a couple of times, I know I did. The handles are just pieces of ribbon threaded through the punched holes on each side of the bag (front and back) and tied in a knot on the inside (which is why you don't want the extra layers of the bag in the way). I should have made the handles a little longer. I would suggest about 10" of ribbon for each handle. Add a little clip to help hold the bag closed and you're done.
Please check out Artistic Inspirations DT inspiration project this week. They are lovely as usual. And while your crafting this week, why not make a project for this challenge too. We would love to have you join us.

Happy Crafting!
 

1 comment:

  1. Great project, and the colours are fab. Love the flower, Judith xx

    ReplyDelete