Sunday, August 18, 2013

Eclectic Ellapu Challenge #43 - In the Deck

Hello Crafters!

We have an interesting challenge for you this week coming from the Purples at Eclectic Ellapu and hosted by Jacki. She as asked for the use of playing cards on our projects this time around. Sound like fun? Then join us!

Here's my project for this theme.


Ok, so it is a bit of a stretch on the playing card theme but, it works. I love Graphic 45 and found some papers that I had sort of forgotten about as I was sifting through stuff for my craft sale in a few weeks. I also found my burlap ribbon from Maya Road that I have been looking for for some time. I simply tied it in a "soft" knot here and attached with Score Tape and trimmed the ends. I also used a die from My Favorite Things with coordinating paper to make the handmade flower. I then used a small leaf die from SU (Sizzix) with Old Olive card stock behind the flower. The old buttons are from my stash to which I added some string from the burlap. The little pumpkin was made with three punched 3/4" circles from Pumpkin Pie card stock (SU) and layered together with a scrap of Old Olive card stock (SU) for the stem then popped up on foam tape. The closed size of this card is 5-1/4" square to fit in a 5-1/2" square envelope.

The really fun part of this card though is the mechanism inside:


I saw a card in my newest issue of Cardmaking and Papercraft (UK) from a reader that had this special fold and knew I had to figure it out. Unfortunately there is no pattern out there for the general public unless you buy a book by Michelle Powell. I may do that some day because if she can do this there are probably many more folds I will want to try. Anyway, that being said, It would not be right sharing the pattern I made. However, it wasn't too hard for me to figure out as I love fiddling with special folds. I also adjusted it to fit a quarter sheet envelope as well so I can do that the next time. The reader that made a card like this had not added a cover which I felt it needed to hide the mechanism on the back (& add some depth). However, you could carefully decorate the card when closed using the back side of the slider portion.

Here's a look from the top:


As you can see there is plenty of open space here between the inside of the card and the cover. I adjusted this part of the pattern on purpose to have that added depth.

Wouldn't this card be great for the grandparents to put on display with photos of the grandchildren on them? Or what about a scenic wish you were here kind of photo? I could even see using a heavy acetate on the slider stamped with permanent ink and making a diorama out of it. Cool, huh?

Well, there's my inspiration for you. Hope you enjoyed it and will want to try it out for yourselves. Don't forget to stop over at Eclectic Ellapu and see the rest of the DT's fabulous projects then get busy and join in the fun.

Happy Crafting!


1 comment:

  1. Great card my friend. Want to see this one in person sometime. Kudos, it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete