Sunday, June 9, 2013

Eclectic Ellapu Challenge #33 - B is for...

Hello Crafters!
Well it's Sunday and that means Eclectic Ellapu has started a new challenge. This time my Purple Teamie Bonnie has chosen our theme.  "B" is for...

Bumble Bee Buzzin By, Bling, Black (card stock &  ribbon)
I couldn't resist making this cute little bumble bee when I saw one similar to it on a blog somewhere. I love using my punches creatively so this was a perfect chance for me to play.

I picked up the hexagon embossing folder with a coupon at Joann Fabrics. Wasn't sure I would ever get this folder but when I saw the bumble bee I knew it would be a great companion. I used a special technique that I've thought about for some time but never tried. Since I made this card I saw the very same technique in the summer issue of Cardmaker Magazine. Great minds????

All I did was mix about 1/4 teaspoon of crystal lacquer (Diamond Glaze for you SU followers) and a drop of stamp pad reinker. I mixed it up good then applied it to the "honeycombs". This was the last thing I did after figuring out the layout so I could let it dry and not take a chance of messing it up. I used a very small paint brush to apply but, I didn't get very even coverage so I might just use a toothpick next time. 

The card base is Basic Black and the embossed layer is Summer Sun both SU colors. The bumble bee is made from the ornament punch (the older one), 1-1/8 circle punch, & the small and large oval punch. I punched the body in Summer Sun and Basic Black with the ornament punch. The basic black just gave a layer to help it stand out against the yellow card stock. I used the large oval punch to make the stripes and trimmed a bit off. I used the small oval to punch out the wings from some old printed vellum from SU. I sprayed that with Glimmer Paint Spray (no longer available - boo hoo!). It really made the wings shine. Not sure how well you can see that. Anyway, I applied the black circle over the wings and added black bling for the eyes (didn't want them to stand out too much). A little swish of my white gel pen added some highlight around the eyes and on the wings. The antenna are just little slivers of black card stock attached with a glue dot.

The bee was popped up on foam tape as was the sentiment. But, I felt the card still needed a little something. When in doubt add ribbon.  So, I added ribbon to the top and tied a knot.

Hope you have been inspired to create a "B" card for our challenge at Eclectic Ellapu. Be sure to check out the DT inspirations - you won't be disappointed! What's your "B" going to be?

Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

  1. So cleverly constructed, Trisha. Such a fun card. Thanks for sharing, teamie!
    Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely so so cute - love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bee-utiful!! Love the bold bee and the honeycomb technique looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete